You already have Products with Variants, and you just want to add Variants without touching existing Variants.
You can do that the following way. Let’s assume, we have this Product with one Variant:
Step 1: Construct the Import File
Construct the Import Excel file, which contains only new Variants you want to add.
Make sure that you copy the ID or Handle rows for each new Variant:
Now the most important part. Set the value of column “Variants Add” to TRUE for each Product, where you don’t want the Variants to be replaced. This will make the import to append Variants to existing.
To replace existing Variants with whatever rows you will have in this import file, leave that “Variants Add” column empty, or set the value to FALSE, or remove that column entirely.
It looks like this:
A word about images. If you want it to use the existing images from your Product, then do the Export, and take the same link from the Product Image, and put it in “Variant Image” column. However, if you will take the link from somewhere else, it will add that image to Variant and to the Product itself.
Step 2: Add Variants by Importing That Excel File
Remember to mark the checkbox “Update items which have no ID, but are found in store by Handle.” if you use Handle column to identify the Product.
Step 3: Check The Added Variants on Product
By looking at the Product you see that it still has its previous Variant, and 3 new variants are added after that.
Also, you see that new Variant images are added to the Product.
- To find out Product Handles, you can take that information from Product SEO Description section, or do the Export.
- If you update Products by ID, then remember to copy ID value for each Variant row, and make sure Excel didn’t increment it, when you copied.
- You can remove from Excel file all columns which you don’t want to update.
- You need to set “Variants Add” value only for the first row of each Product.
Where To Go From Here?
- Install the Bulk Import Export Update with Excel app from Shopify AppStore and try Free version to add variants on your own store Products.
- Get the Template Excel file, or to the Export to generate it from your own store.
- Read the detailed Field Descriptions.
- Read other Tutorials.
- If you are not sure how to prepare the import file, ask our Support, we will teach you, or do that for you.