We have designed the feature to clone Shopify store as a completely smooth experience for you.
Step 0: The starting point
We start by having a Pet Shop store with some Products, some Smart Collections, some Custom Collections with Products in them, Customer and Discounts. This is the one that we want to clone to another store we have.
Step 1: Export from your existing Store
Export whatever you want from your existing store.
If you want also Custom Collections to contain all the correct Products, be sure to export also Products and Linked Products in the same Export.
When the export has finished, press that green Download Exported File button to get your Shopify data as Excel file:
Step 2: Import that Excel file
If you simply want to copy contents of one Shopify store to another, you even don’t have to look inside that file.
Just go to your other Shopify store, install the same app, and import that exported Excel file.
Then press blue “Import” button to start the import.
When it’s done, you will see the green “Import Completed” message.
Step 3: Go, Check Your Shopify Store Clone
Notice that the store name is different, URL is different. No joking – everything is there the same as it was in that Pet Shop store.
Even Manual Collections (Custom Collections) have their products linked, as you would expect.
Good To Know
- That other store can have items there already. When you clone Shopify store by this method, the additional items will be added, and the ones that have the same Handle (or E-mail, or Discount code) will be updated. Others will not be touched.
- If you open that Excel file you downloaded, you will notice that it’s perfectly human readable. If you need to, you can change, add or remove data there, and do the import again in all your stores.
- After import is complete, you can download the “Import Results” Excel file, where the last 2 columns (Import Result and Import Comment) will show you the result for each row. This is helpful, when something failed in the import – you will see the failure reason there.
- You can use this method to translate your store items to whatever other language you have in your other store. Export it to Excel, give to professional translator that Excel file, and import the translated file into your new store.
- Hey, and if you have two stores in separate languages, you can import column updates to both of them, without touching the translated columns (like inventory quantity or price). Only then those items need to have the same Handles, as this is how app will identify that they are the same ones to update.
Where To Go From Here?
- Install the Bulk Import Export Update with Excel app to your Shopify store. Actually to all of your stores, so that you can clone them back and forth.
- Get your additional store included in the same paid Plan – send our Support addresses of all of your stores.
- Read other Tutorials, to get idea what else can you do besides cloning your Shopify store.
- Read the detailed Column Descriptions of all columns (fields) that you can export and import.
- Write us a Review and give some stars along with your story, how it helped.