You can sell your Shopify products on Amazon by exporting from Shopify and importing to Amazon in bulk using Bulk Import Export Update with Excel app.
From the Shopify side, your products should have certain information filled in. From the Amazon side, you need the Professional Merchant account. There are some constraints from the Amazon, what and how you can add to your listings, those will be applied to uploads as well.
Warning – this is only for Amazon experts!
This tutorial requires you to know the Amazon Inventory Flat File template in and out. It’s quite complicated and specific to Amazon. Even each region has slightly different templates in Amazon. This tutorial will get you started – to generate the base Amazon template with your Shopify data, but you will have to complete it to match Amazon requirements for your Amazon account.
The basic approach will be:
- Prepare your product data in Shopify.
- Export products with Excelify app into Amazon Inventory Flat File format.
- Add Products via Upload to Amazon.
- Review upload results.
Prepare your product data in Shopify
You can either import products with no variants (only one variant) or with several variants. Currently, variants having Options of color and size are detected automatically. If you have other option names for variants, you will have a chance to use them too, just with small copy-paste in the exported file.
Let’s start with the most important things first.
SKU and Barcode fields for your Shopify Products
You can use any SKU you like, but it must be at least 8 characters long. From Amazon perspective, this is your inventory ID.
Your Barcode should be valid product identifier according to one of those classifications: ISBN, UPC, GTIN, EAN, ASIN. Usually, you can get it with your product data from your supplier. You can validate your barcode numbers using Lookup Databases online, for example – upcitemdb.com.
Amazon Product Type
When importing to Amazon, it requires the feed_product_type field in the import file. That product type is not the same as Shopify Product Type field, because Amazon accepts only certain values, according to their own classification.
See the full list of acceptable values on the Amazon Product Types page.
You can see all feed_product_type values on Inventory File Template page for the needed category.
How to fill Amazon product type?
You can keep your Shopify Product type as it is, no need to change that. When exporting to Amazon Inventory Flat File format, you can get it filled in one of three ways:
- Enter it in the exported Excel file, in the column “feed_product_type”.
- Set the Tag for your product with Amazon product type. For example, if you want to use the Furniture And Design Amazon product type, add a tag to the product: “AmazonProductType:furnitureanddesign“.
- Set the Metafield: “feed_product_type” in namespace “amazon” for your Products. When importing in bulk, that’s the column: “Metafield: amazon.feed_product_type“.
You can export and import those Tags or Metafields in bulk using this same Bulk Import Export Update with Excel app.
You can view all custom fields you can set for Amazon exports, in this Amazon Inventory Flat File documentation.
Export Products Amazon Inventory Flat File
Got to the App, select to Export Products with Variants and Images and Export it into Amazon Inventory Flat File:
Download exported file.
Exported file contains all the basic columns with the data that is needed for your products to be created on Amazon.
TemplateType=home, by default, but if your products are of different Product Category, then the different value needs to be set here.
It also contains Shopify columns with your product variants data for your convenience, if you need to use them for other variation themes.
All the exported columns are described in Amazon Inventory Flat File documentation.
Import Excel file via Upload into Amazon
Go to your Amazon merchant account. Go to Inventory -> Add Products via Upload. Choose file and click Upload and wait for upload result.
After clicking on Upload, you will be redirected to the Monitor Upload Status tab. When the upload is finished, you can see the processing report there:
Download your Processing Report.
See that products were successfully imported:
If there is a Warning about the Shopify columns, then you can ignore it.
You also can see imported products in the Inventory -> Manage Inventory
Good to know and what to do next:
- Install the Excelify App.
- Amazon has a huge product catalog and will try to match your products with already existing ones. If it will (usually by UPC number), it will check if the information is the same and will import if it is. If there will be some discrepancies, you will get error messages in the upload report and instructions, how to fix them.
- Read the Amazon Inventory Flat File documentation to find out what Shopify data goes into which columns of the Amazon Excel file, and how can you make repeated exports and have the data as you want it to be without further manual changes in the exported Excel file.
- Please, read the Amazon Inventory Loaded instructions carefully if you have any issues importing the exported file into Amazon.
- Look into Amazon Inventory File Templates to see different templates Amazon requires for each product category.
- See our tutorial on how to export products to find other features you can achieve with the app.
- Contact us if you run into issues that you can’t fix – we will help.
- Read more about what you can achieve in Excelify How to Export Shopify Products tutorial.
- Read Excelify tutorial on how to export data from Shopify with custom columns.