Using all the API Call Limit
Shopify API has a “speed limit” known as “API Call Limit“. In simplified terms – it limits how many calls can apps make to your store, and how fast. Excelify, for its Enterprise Plan, is leveraging that call limit to its maximum, while staying inside the allowed limits.
In many cases, Shopify can increase that call limit for certain stores. If your Shopify store has an increased API call limit, Excelify will be able to use that to achieve even higher speeds (even above the 10x as we mention in our Pricing, if your call limit allows that).
Improve Speed with Private App on Shopify Plus
Shopify can increase speed even further for Private Apps if you are using Shopify Plus – if you ask for that specifically.
Excelify can leverage that too – it can connect to your store as a Private App and use that API limit to gain even higher speed.
This way you can increase the speed for about an additional 500%.
This capability is also available only for Excelify Enterprise Plan.
To use this speed improvement, do the following:
- Ask Shopify to increase your API Call Limit for Private Apps.
- Create a new Private App in your Shopify Admin (Shopify Admin -> Apps -> Manage Private Apps)
- Fill your credentials in the Excelify app Settings.
Work with us to specifically find the best way to increase your import or export speed.
Steps to create a Shopify Private App
1. Press “Manage private apps” in Shopify Admin -> Apps
2. “Create new private app”
3. Fill the form
- Private app name: Excelify
- Emergency developer e-mail: [email protected]
- Admin API: mark permissions to allow “Read and write” for all the items.
- Storefront API: leave the checkbox off.
- Review disabled Admin API permissions: mark here everything that you need to export of import. To be safe, you can mark all of it to allow read and write.
4. Confirm to create new Private App
Press the button “I understand, create the app”.
Note that it is really important to keep your API credentials safe – share those only with Excelify.
5. Copy your credentials
Copy the following field values:
- API key
6. Fill credentials in Excelify and run as a Private App
Then head into the Excelify app -> Settings and in the “Private App” section enter your credentials.
Press the “Test and Save” button for the app to test your private app connection.
If no error or warning messages are displayed, then you can select “Run as Private App” checkbox and again press the save button.
Now all new import and export jobs will run through your Private App credentials.
For each job that works as a private app, you will also see “Private App” status in the job details.
Good to know!
- “Failed. Response code = 403. Response message = Forbidden. [API] This action requires merchant approval for *********** scope.” If you get an error like this, it most likely means that you are trying to work with data which is not allowed in your Private App permissions. Please, go to the Private App you created, and mark that mentioned permission. Note that there are much more permissions to allow under the “Review disabled Admin API permissions” link.
- All stores can save the private app credentials in the Excelify settings, but import and export jobs will only run as a private app if you have an Enterprise Excelify subscription plan.
What to do next?
- Contact Excelify Support to collaborate on achieving the highest possible speed for your specific case.
- Read other tips for improving your import speed.