Assigning restock type for your refunds
Now with the Excelify when creating a refund with restocking for a line item that is partially fulfilled, you can specify if you wish to restock and refund the part of the line item that is fulfilled or the part that is unfulfilled.
You can do so by using the column “Refund: Restock Type“.
Only used if:
- “Refund: Restock” is set to TRUE
- Restocking Line Item that is partially fulfilled
- Restocking only part of the line item, not the whole quantity.
- If restocking fulfilled part of the Line Item set value “return”.
- If restocking unfulfilled part of the Line Item set value “cancel”.
If you are Refunding with a restock all quantity that is still refundable for this line item then you do not need to fill this cell even if the line item is partially fulfilled. To create a Refund in this case, please follow the tutorial on how to Refund existing Shopify Orders in bulk.
If the all quantity of the line item is fulfilled or unfulfilled then you also do not need to use this cell as the app will assign the correct value automatically for you. To create a Refund in this case, please follow the tutorial on how to “Refund existing Shopify Orders in bulk”.
The only case when you need to fill the “Refund: Restock Type” cell, is when you are refunding and restocking part of the refundable quantity of the partially fulfilled line item.
Let take a look at a real-life example of how this is done.
1. Export the order you wish to refund with restock
First lets export an Order that you wish to refund with a restock.
As stated above, you do not need to use this column when Refunding whole line item quantity so for an example we will export Order that has line item partially fulfilled.
In the Excelify app Export section select checkboxes:
- Line Items
If needed you can click on the “Filter” icon and apply filters to only export Orders that you wish to work on.
Then select the export format “Excelify: Excel” or “Excelify: CSV”. We strongly suggest using the “Excelify: Excel” file format if exported data is not over 100 000 items or will not exceed any of the known Excel limits.
Once the export is finished click on the “Download Exported File” button to download the file.
2. Edit the exported file
In the exported file we will need to make a few edits to create a refund.
2.1. Delete columns you will not need
By default, there are a lot of columns exported, so we will delete the ones that we do not require here. We will need the following columns:
- Line: .. (all columns that start with Line: )
- Refund: .. (all columns that start with Refund: )
2.2. Change the “Command” column
By default, the Orders are exported with “NEW” command since we wish to add Refund to existing Orders we would need to use the “UPDATE” command.
2.3. Update Line Item to Refund Line in “Line: Type” column
The simplest way to show the app what item/s we wish to refund is to find the “Line: Type” column and update all “Line Item” values to “Refund Line“.
This will ensure that the app reads these rows as refunds and also creates them.
2.4. Set quantity you wish to refund
Now for each row that we updated to the Refund Line, we can set how many of this item we wish to refund. This is done in the “Line: Quantity” column.
Here we enter a negative amount, so if your Line Item quantity was 10 and you wish to refund 5 then you enter value -5.
2.5. Fill Refund: … columns
- Refund: ID – set any kind of number there, for example, “1” for all the rows – just so that you identify that this is one and the same refund. You can create several refunds by changing the “Refund: ID” number, and group several line items into several refunds if you like.
- Refund: Created At – Date when the Refund was created in Shopify. Export only – leave empty when creating a refund.
- Refund: Note – write any notes you want to add about this refund.
- Refund: Restock – put the TRUE value there if you want to restock the refunded products, or FALSE if you don’t want to restock.
- Refund: Restock Type – Only used when “Refund: Restock” is TRUE, and you are restocking only a part of a line item and it is partially fulfilled. To restock the unfulfilled part of the line item put the value “cancel”, to restock fulfilled part of the line item put “return”.
- Refund: Restock Location – If you have the “Refund: Restock” set as TRUE, then you can set here the name of the location to which the restocked items should be sent. If you leave this empty then the items will be sent back to the default location.
- Refund: Send Receipt – put the “TRUE” value if you want the customer to receive an e-mail notification about that refund. FALSE – if you don’t. By default, it is FALSE.
In my example, I have Line Item with ordered quantity 10.
5 items are fulfilled and 5 are unfulfilled.
As I wish to Refund with Restock 5 items then, the same way as refunding in the Shopify Admin manually, I need to tell that those 5 are from fulfilled or unfulfilled part of the line item.
I wish to Restock and Refund the unfulfilled part of the Line Item so I will set value “cancel” in the “Refund: Restock Type” column.
3. Save, import and enjoy!
Once you have finished editing the file, double check it, save and import it back into the app.
Go back to the Excelify app and upload the file in the Import section. The app will analyze the file and count how many Orders you are importing.
Press the Import button to start the import.
If you see any Failed items, then after the import has finished, you can download the Import Results file and look into the “Import Comment” column. It will tell why particular Orders have failed. Then you can fix that issue and re-import just those failed and fixed rows again.
Always test with just one Order to make sure you have it all set up correctly.
And only when you have tested, import all the bulk changes.
Good to know!
- To restock some quantity from fulfilled and some from unfulfilled you need to use two rows with all the same information except quantity you wish to restock and restock type.
- See other Tutorials about Orders.
- Contact Excelify support to get help.
Where to go from here?
- To refund all quantity of the line item or the line item not partially fulfilled you can follow regular refund tutorial.
- If you need to Cancel the Order, read the tutorial on how to cancel Orders, also with refunding them all together.
- Read the documentation of all the fields of Orders.
- See other Tutorials about Orders.
- Contact our support to get help.
- Install Excelify app.